PROF.SHASHANKA MOHAN BOSE
MS, FRCS (Eng. ), FRCS ( Glas. ), FAMS, FACS ( USA), FICS (USA ), FACG ( USA ), FIAMS, FAIS, FPSC
Senior Consultant Surgeon
FORMER SENIOR PROFESSOR & HEAD OF SURGERY DEPT.
POSTGRADUATE INST. OF MED. EDUCN & RESEARCH,CHANDIGARH , INDIA
HAVE ALSO HELD FOLLOWING POSITIONS :
- Professor of Surgery,AIIMS, New Delhi
- Dir.Prof of Surgery, M.M.Inst. of Med. Educn & Res., Mullana, Haryana
- JOINT MED. SUPDT. & ADMN. INCHARGE OF EMERGENCY DEPT., PGI HOSPITAL , CHANDIGARH
- PRESIDENT ASSOCN. OF SURGEONS OF INDIA WITH MEMBERSHIP OF 15,000 SURGEONS 2002
- President Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- President Chandigarh Surgical Society,
- Governing Council Member, Assocn. Of Surgeons of India, 1992-97.
- Advisor cum Consultant Haryana State Cancer Control Programme
- President & Secretary, PGI, Faculty Association
- President & Gen. Secretary PGI Community Centre
- President Indian Medical Students Association
- President Greater Gwalior Students Association
- General Secretary & Clinical Society Secretary G.R.Medical College, Gwalior
- Founder General Secretary Carmel Convent P.T.Association, Chandigarh
- Governing Council Member of Pracheen Kala Kendra, Chandigarh
- Executive Director Kala Kriti Sangam, Chandigarh
- Chairman Cultural Committee, Chairman Inst. Function Committee, Chairman Infection Control Committee, Chairman Dept. Selection Committee and almost all the committees of the PGI, Chandigarh.
Aluminus of Royal Postgraduate Medical School, London.
Fellow of – Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Centre, New York
_ Kings College, London.
W.H.O. Fellowship – International Award 1995. .
U.I.C.C. Switzerland Fellowship– International Award 1993.
Had been working in the Department of Surgery at PGI, Chandigarh :January 1964 to July 2002. Have been interested in Cancer Breast, Hepato-biliary surgery, Abdominal trauma etc and have received wide recognition and several awards for these.
Credited for starting and popularizing in north India , Breast Conservation Surgery for cancer breast, neo-adjuvant chemotherapy followed by breast conservation surgery in locally advanced breast cancer. About 30 years back, was the first in the country to start Non-operative Management of Traumatic Haemoperitoneum in adults which has now become an established practice in good centres all over the country.
First to undertake Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in PGI, Appendicectomy, Hepatic Hydatid Cyst , using a demonstration set almost two years before the dept. could get its own Laparoscopic set.
Have more than 120 professional publications in International and National Journals, Chapters in many books. Have organized 6 conferences in the dept. of surgery, PGI , during the last ten years of stay in PGI, Chandigarh. Have recently organized Breast Cancer Update 2015 in MMIMSR, Mullana, Haryana.
Keenly interested in Surgical Teaching and Training of Surgeons. Have been invited by Assoc. of Surgeons of SAARC countries, Pakistan Govt., WHO, A.S.I. etc. to deliver lectures on Surgical Training. Have attended and chaired a large number of International and National Conferences, delivered Visiting Professorial and Guest Lectures in India and abroad. Have demonstrated operations in Worjkshops & Conferences.
Keenly interested in health education of people, book on ‘CANCER’ has been published by Govt. of India, has been translated in 7 regional languages and this has become very popular. Have delivered a no. of Public lectures on. Cancer Awareness & Early Detection of Cancer. More than 130 articles on health education have been published in leading newspapers and magazines. Have edited a book, “Consensus on Breast Cancer”
- Dr.B.C.Roy Silver Jubilee Research Award by Govt. of India for outstanding research work in the field of medical and allied sciences carried out in India : 2000
- Dr.B.C.Roy National Award for Eminent Medical Teacher by Govt. of India 1998.
- National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Tech. Communication By Dept of Science & Technology, Govt. of India – 2015
- Chikitsa Ratan Award By Gwalior Medical College Alumni Assocn at New Delhi 2015
- Dr.Santokh Singh Endowment Oration, Assocn of Surgeons of India 2010
- Prof. Ginde Memorial Award of International College of Surgeons, 2009
- Prof. R.Ganguly Memorial Award of Assocn of Surgeons of India 2009
- Prof. N.K.Misra Oration Award of UP Assocn of Surgeons 2008
- Prof. Eggleston Oration Award by North Zone Assocn of Surgeons of India 2007
- Prof.B.N.Balakrishna Rao Oration Award by Bangalore Surgical Society: 2006.
- Dr.T.S.Jayram Oration, Karnataka Chapter of ASI, 2002
- Dr.Subodh Datta Award of West Bengal Chapter of ASI, 2002
- Dr.J.Mohanta Award of Assam Chapter of ASI , 2002
- Dr.C.S.Reddy Oration Award of Indian Medical Association , Vijaywada 2002
- Parikh Memorial Award by M.P. Chapter of Association of Surgeons of India 2000
- Pandalai Award , Highest Award of Assocn. Of Surgeons of India 1997
- Veera Bhai J.R.Das Aggarwal Oration Award of Indian Assocn of Surgical Gastroenterology1999
- Golden Jubilee Award of Delhi State Chapter of Assocn. of Surgeons of India 1997.
- Dr.S.P.Mathur Award of U.P.Surgeons’ Association 1995.
- Dr.P.K.Sen Award of Assocn of Surgeons of India 1994.
- Olympian Honours by Cadilla Health Care 1994.
- Dr.A.K.Menda Award of Indian Medical Association 1994.
- Dr.N.K.Reddy Award of Andhra Pradesh Surgeons Association 1993.
- Ethicon Visiting Profssorship of Assocn. Of Surgeons of India 1991.
- P.G.I. Alumini Assoication Award of Excellence in Medical Care and Social Service 1991.
Advisor to Union Public Service Commission, Public Service Commissions of West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Bihar, Lucknow University, AIIMS Selection Board etc.Inspector, Medical Council of India, National Board of Examinations., and postgraduate examiner of more than 25 universities including a foreign one.
# 215, Sector 36, Chandigarh , India 160036
Mobile No. 9815825959 / 0172 2664989
Web site: https://drsmbose.com
Communication to General Public for Health Education \ Cancer Awareness
Have carried out the following activities in this respect :
- Written a book “CANCER” , published byN.B.T. , a Govt. of India agency. The book published under “Popular Science” category has been already translated in 7 vernacular languages and gone through multiple editions and reprints. ( Enclosure )
- Have been regularly delivering lectures for dissemination of health education and awareness amongst schools, colleges, clubs, associations etc.
- Have communicated health education and cancer awareness through 130 published articles in news papers, magazines etc. ( Enclosure )
Another book “ Winners of Breast Cancer” edited by me is under publication with the publishers
Professional Communication to Medical World:
- Have been a Medical Teacher since 1967 in PGI Chandigarh , one of the premier Medical Institutes of India, thus communicating the art and craft of surgical sciences for the last 58 years. The President of India has awarded Prof. Bose the prestigious Dr.B.C.Roy National Award for Eminent Medical Teacher in the year 1998.
- Have been also disseminating the art and craft of Surgical Sciences to the surgical world. These communications have been on National and on International levels.
- Delivered more than 25 prestigious Orations in Conferences.
- Delivered more than 120 lectures in Symposiums, Seminars, CMEs, Update Programmes etc.
- Have also delivered Visiting Professorial and Guest Lectures.
- Have organised 7 update Programmes\ Seminars
- Have been also communicating medical science through writing :
- Have published about 120 professional articles in national and international professional Journals.
- Have been on editorial board of Text Book of Surgery, published by Assocn of Surgeons of India.
- Have been on the Editorial Board of a number of professional Journals – Indian Jl of Surgery, Jl of Colo Proctology, Day Care Surgery etc.
- Edited a book “ Consensus in Breast Cancer ”
- Prof. Bose has been actively involved in the dissemination of science and technology – throughout his professional career of 58 years.
- He has been an eminent Medical Teacher communicating through lectures and writing scientific articles for text books, professional Journals etc.
- He has also communicated the art and craft of surgical sciences by demonstrating live operations in conferences. \
- Prof. Bose has been concerned with late presentation of cancer patients and started delivering Cancer Awareness Lectures in schools, colleges, societies, clubs.
- His health education book “ CANCER” has seen multiple editions and reprints , it has been translated in 7 regional languages.
- He has been also communicating with common people with the help of Articles published in news papers and magazines.
He is one of the few in the country who has taken initiative
in communicating with masses for their benefit .
Prof. Bose thus justifies this award for his outstanding contribution in the field of Scientific & Technical Communication.